Project Watershed is Hiring an Administration Assistant
Project Watershed and the Comox Valley Land Trust (CVLT) are hiring an administrative assistant. The position is for 30 hrs per week for a 12-month term with the possibility of extension. The successful applicant will work out of the Conservation Centre completing duties for both organizations.
The Comox Valley Project Watershed Society is a small and dynamic non-profit environmental organization based in the Comox Valley. With a focus on sensitive habitat stewardship, restoration education and mapping, Project Watershed undertakes large and small scale coastal and watershed restoration initiatives. Project Watershed has a long history of collaborating and partnering with local governments, First Nations, academia, environmental organizations and schools to raise awareness and enhance sensitive habitats in the beautiful Comox Valley. Project Watershed has been an established non-profit since 1993 with its staff and volunteers working hard to improve the health of the environment in the Comox Valley and northern Salish Sea. More about Project Watershed.
Since their formation in 1999, the CVLT have protected approximately 600 hectares of ecologically significant land and wildlife habitat. This success is thanks to the vision and generosity of their donors and partners. Like all land trusts, they identify ecologically important private lands and work to purchase them or develop conservation covenants with the property owners. More about CVLT.
We are looking for a talented administrator located in the Comox Valley with experience in donor and member management, office administration and an interest in environmental initiatives and conservation. The successful candidate will be someone who is a motivated self-starter, highly organized and detail oriented. They will provide administrative structure and support to our diverse array of staff and board members. They will be comfortable interfacing with the public during office hours and addressing organizational questions or concerns. The successful candidate will be someone who can work in our Conservation Centre (2356 Rosewall Crescent, Courtenay, BC) with the potential for hybrid home office set-up.
Duties and responsibilities
The listed duties and responsibilities apply for both Project Watershed and the CVLT:
1) Donor Management:
- Acknowledge donors via email and written Thank You’s.
- Assist with reporting to donors.
- Work with Donor Management Systems (DMS):
- Weekly update of donor data (LGL, Sage, Paypal, CanadaHelps).
- Integrate DMS (LGL, Canada Helps) to improve efficiency and useability.
- Provide donor information for fundraising campaigns and targeted communication to members and donors.
2) Other Fundraising Support:
- Assist with the preparation of funding proposals.
- Assist with fundraising committee activities.
- Maintain list of active members and past members in Mailchimp, Constant Contact and LGL.
- Send members renewal notices and ensure membership fees are paid.
4) Communications Support:
- Build and distribute communication messages to supporters including newsletters, and mass and targeted email messages.
- Administer and manage communication software tools such as Mailchimp, Constant Contact, LGL Forms, and online registration/ticketing for events/ walks.
- Maintain Mailchimp, Constant Contact and LGL lists.
- Assist with website updates as required including writing and publishing web posts.
- Assist with media communications as required.
- Assist with posting to social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
5) Board and Society Administration:
- Take minutes and store board meeting minutes, agendas, reports on shared drives.
- File board governance documents such as policies, strategic plans, constitution and bylaws in the appropriate location and manner.
- Work with the board to ensure records are up to date and stored in compliance with organizational standards.
- Keep Society records in accordance with the Society Act.
- Support the bookkeeper in completing CRA filings and other filings as required.
- Maintain the list of active board members, and the personal information required in the above filings.
6) Mail and cheque signing:
- Coordinate cheque signing and distribution including mailing out of cheques.
- Pick up mail and distribute as required (weekly).
- Ideally two or more years of relevant experience in office administration.
- Experience working in non-profits an asset.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with Sage or other financial management software.
- Diploma or certification in Business Administration, or equivalent experience. A keen interest in learning and growing is an asset.
- Community engagement and communications experience an asset.
- Background understanding of local environmental issues.
- Experience with CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software an asset.
- Experience and/or interest in publishing content to website platforms (WordPress) and social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn) an asset.
- Familiarity working in partnership/collaboration with Indigenous communities and other government agencies.
- Access to own transportation.
- Located in the Comox Valley or willing to relcoate.
Join Project Watershed
If you are interested in applying please submit your resume and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only those candidates who are invited for interviews will be contacted.